NSW Treasurer Matt Kean has announced plans for a 700 megawatt battery to help compensate for the expedited closure of Origin Energy’s Eraring coal plant.
Kean says NSW will become home to “the biggest battery in the southern hemisphere” to help free up capacity. He is confident it will be ready in time for Eraring’s 2025 closure.
“The best way to deal with price increases in our electricity system is to build more supply and our electricity infrastructure road map will ensure that that is exactly what occurs,” he says.
Australian Financial Review,17 February 2022
There are more than 85 big batteries with a total capacity of 18,660 MW in the planning pipeline.
Mark Ludlow, Australian Financial Review, November 2021
Its research shows there are five utility-scale battery projects in operation in the NEM and 35 utility-scale battery projects in the pipeline. In Australia, the battery industry is predicted to be worth $7.4 billion by 2030.
Tony Boyd, Australian Financial Review, September 2021
Informa Australia is delighted to announce the Australian Energy & Battery Storage Conference, held 7-8 March at the Hilton Sydney. Re-join and reconnect with your colleagues, contacts and industry for this unique networking and shared learning opportunity.
The global energy crisis is fast-tracking the renewable energy transition in Australia through the surge in storage projects and investments. This ensures the opportunity to effectively improve long-term reliability to meet Australia’s current and future energy needs. The Australian Energy & Battery Storage Conference will focus on the latest development of large-scale batteries, pumped hydro projects & community batteries. This exciting event allows the opportunity for greater transparency and effective collaboration across the sector.
Topics will include:
- Government and policy – changes to the electricity grid (NEM) and the impact energy storage will play (including REZ’s)
- The latest advances in battery storage technology
- Decarbonising the energy sector
- Investment considerations for the roll-out of energy storage in the NEM
- Case studies on the construction of new large-scale batteries, pumped hydro and community batteries
- Case studies of the operation of batteries in the grid
- Rewiring the nation – Transmission infrastructure enabling Australia’s transition to renewable energy
- How batteries and pumped hydro projects can be connected to the grid
- Hydrogen and storage