The Benefits of LV monitoring
Installation of a flexible, intelligent monitoring solution provides multiple benefits not solely confined to visibility and understanding the impact and capacity for DER.
Drilling down into the data below the substation level can bring important insights into network performance, making management much easier and improve service and safety. With the right data at hand, it is possible to make informed operational decisions, address power quality issues and reduce the losses through improved network balance.
Companies installing the VisNet® monitoring solution are using it to:
- Lower costs
- Improve network resilience
- Drive efficiencies in operation
- Enhance utilisation
- Signal capacity to others
The VisNet® Hub is a substation monitor that samples voltage and current data on every LV circuit giving insight about load, faults and condition information across the network. It measures three phases, plus neutral for up to six LV circuits, busbar voltage and equipment temperature.
The VisNet Hub utilises EA Technology’s Low Voltage Common Application Platform (LV-CAP®) operating system.
LV-CAP allows a network operator to deploy a single hardware unit per substation, incorporating a tailored suite of Apps, rather than deploying multiple devices in each substation, which implement functionality in different, incompatible ways, increasing both purchase and up-stream costs.
- Allows insights to be mined from data locally and consolidated centrally
- Can be combined with a tailored suite of relevant software Apps, allowing operators to distribute intelligence across the network and optimise the data transfer volumes in this data rich environment
- Provides local intelligence to allow credible decisions to be made
This rounded solution gives network operators the opportunity to have full visibility and control of their LV network, at the most economic price point.